Reykjavík Art Museum is to be a world-class venue for visual arts, committed to purposefully serving diverse audiences, and to be an inviting destination in the daily lives of members of the community.
• To select works for the collection and exhibitions based primarily on their artistic value.
• To manage exhibitions, educational programs, and publications in a way so that contemporary art will be accessible to all.
• To sustain research and registration of the collection, enabling the museum to continue to fulfil its cultural and historical role.
• To manage public artworks in Reykjavik and to ensure that these works maintain their artistic value.
• To highlight major trends and currents in contemporary art, to make it possible for local residents and other museum guests to keep abreast of progressive Icelandic and international art.